Wednesday, May 19, 2010

birds and knees


There's a catbird in the neighborhood--I know, I keep hearing it--and I'm trying to lure it to the feeders with offerings of fruit, but so far, all I see eating the fruit is starlings. Since I'm also trying to discourage the starlings, I'm about to stop putting out the fruit. Although starlings aren't supposed to like nyger or safflower, and I see them at both feeders. I'm not sure they actually eat nyjer or safflower, but apparently they keep hoping, and they throw the seed around hoping for something better. Anyway I'm not sure how much they'd be discouraged if I stop putting out, but if the catbird doesn't come, I'll stop.

Saturday mornings are such nice birdwatching times, but this Saturday at 8 a.m. I'm going to be getting my knees x-rayed and an MRI on my right knee. Yay. The doctor is making noises about arthroscopic surgery. I'm not thrilled by the thought, but it doesn't require a hospital stay, and if they do one knee at a time, I ought to be able to manage the dogs. I'm hoping they won't make all of me get in the MRI machine, since all they need is my knee. I'm pretty claustrophobic, but I don't really want to be sedated--I might miss my favorite NPR show, "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me"!

/

2 comments:

Monika said...

I wish you all the best for Saturday!

Jane said...

Our catbirds are back, too. I love those late-spring songs. Mitzi did not believe it was a catbird, but I assured her it would meow once it found its mate!

I hope all goes well on Saturday. Maybe you could listen to NPR instead of getting sedated?