Monday, April 19, 2010

Coolness


Literally and figuratively. The temps dropped from an overly-warm upper 80s last week to a very comfortable 60s over the weekend, with overnight lows in the upper 30s--delicious sleeping weather!

Figuratively cool because I've just identified a couple of chipping sparrows at my feeders. Okay, they're a common little bird, but I've never seen them to identify them before. I have some cardinals, at least once purple finch, and a couple of purple finches visiting the feeders, and a robin nesting on my front porch. Cool, eh? I can add them to my tiny life-list.

I haven't seen the goldfinch that visited on the first day, alas, but I keep hoping. I've reached a truce with the squirrel at the moment--it can eat the sunflower that falls on the ground as long as it leaves the feeders alone. I also got a sunflower feeder that's a little more squirrel-resistant--metal lid and tray with wire mesh.

I'd still like to put out a suet feeder. I'm not sure I'd get any woodpeckers, but I've been reading that other birds are interested in suet during the nesting season since it's high-fat and easy for baby birds to digest. Maybe I'll try the kind that has hot peppers mixed in--birds can't taste it, but squirrels aren't supposed to like it. Won't hurt to try.

No comments: