Thursday, November 29, 2007

This and that

Timber did his Magic Hypnotic Puppy trick last night and got me to go to bed at 10:30 instead of 12:30. I had taken my laptop back to fight some more with transferring music from it to my mp3 player (I didn't think it was supposed to be this hard, darn it!). Timber doesn't like the laptop--I think the sound of the drive, which I can't hear, bothers him, and he usually heads for the living room when he sees it.

But last night I got sat down and he bounced! up onto the bed and stood in front of me, then sat down, then lay down. He almost NEVER does anythign like this, so of course I set the laptop aside. I got my legs arranged so I had one stretched along the length of his back and the other one tucked up so he could rest his head on that knee, and started petting him. Usually whenever I get within reaching distance I start brushing/combing him, but he almost never asks for attention, so I decided to keep things as pleasant as possible and just petted him, long strokes from behind his ears to as far down his body as I could reach. And I stroked him and stroked him, and my head started to nod and my eyes got heavy, and eventually I wiggled around so I was lying behind him with one arm under his head, and kept stroking, and the strokes got shorter and shorter until I had my hand on his side and was just moving my fingers back and forth through his fur, and finally-- zzzzzzzzzz. I fell asleep. It was a little after 10 when i woke up, so I thought that was a good hint that I should go to bed.

But without Timber's Magic Hypnotic Puppy act, I'd have stayed up until midnight and gotten crankier and tireder. Taenzer is the one who most often shows an awareness of hwo I feel, but every once in a while, Timber does someting like this. He's a very special boy--which I've always known!

I woke up about 3 a.m. and saw a dark shape down at the foot of the bed and reached out to pet it, sleepily thinking it was Annie. Turned out to be just my sweatpants, which I'd kicked off and left just where she usually slept.

Meanwhile, I'm plugging away on the sock for my friend's dad, and wishing I'd gotten Mountain Colors Weavers Wool Quarters instead. It would have worked up sooooooo much faster! As you can see, it's only about 10 inches along, and I think I read in one of the generic patterns that it should be about 18". And then I get to do another one. Eep.



Pretty, though, isn't it? Can't wait to be able to start one for me. But I'm happy to be doing something for my friend.

I have NOT ordered a Mustek DV2032 Camcorder that Penneys is selling for $40, or the 420 ct clearance sheets at 55% off (and boy do I need a new set of sheets).

I have NOT ordered the three different colorways of Mountain Colors Weavers Wool Quarters that I lust for from Paradise Fibers.

I have NOT ordered 2 skeins of Apple Laine yarn in the Sunny Days colorway from Earthfaire http://earthfaire.com/product_info.php?products_id=2500, or a mix of gold seed beads from Land of Odds http://www.landofodds.com/servlet/Categories?category=JAPANESE+MYK+SIZE+8+SEED+BEADS:MIXES with which to make sparkly gold beaded socks.

I have NOT ordered the Romance lacy wrap kit or the Syncopation Bag kit or the Knitting Basket Slip-Stitch Cocoon pattern from One Fine Yarn.

I have NOT ordered anything at all from Little Knits.

I have NOT ordered any of the books, CDs, or DVDs piled into my cart at Amazon, or dangle-free stitch markers, or collar dangles or deer antlers or training treats for the Ts.

Do I feel proud and accomplished and in control?

No. I feel sadly abused. I love getting little packages of this and that in the mail. I love having something to look forward to. (pout) And of course it being the holiday season EVERYTHING's on sale and most of it is deeply discounted, so I feel like I'm losing out on irretrievable bargains. I get really tired of not having any money, and when I do get some, some emergency always pops up that requires spending the windfall there instead of on what I want.

I'm not really feeling sorry for myself. Not very much, anyway. More grumpy at the universe, like a kid being dragged past the candy at the check-out counter.

Well, I'm going to go tackle the stupid laptop and stupid mp3 player again.

2 comments:

Monika said...

Oh, how nice of Timber! I was a bit out of control with my fiber buying lately, but I let my son and hubby pay for them as Christmas presents. Now I might not get them in time, because of that stupid Canada Post. I love getting this and that too, since I don't get any other mail, I have to order something from time to time. Right? But now I'm cool again. Had to clear the living room for Christmas decoration, and had to drag so much fiber and yarn to my daughters room, which is my new storage room. Oh well. I've also decided to knit some things from my knitting books too. Why have them, and not knit anything from them? By the way, would you like to leave me your address? I promise I wont come to visit! :o)

T-Mom said...

*lol* about clearing for Christmas decorations! Maybe over my Christmas break--the university will be closed between the 21st and the 2nd--I'll do something with Annie's room and try to move some of the junk out and some of the yarn overflow in!